It’s that time of year! Summer is over and all the kids are heading back to school. It can be such an emotional time for most parents, especially those of you with kids going into preschool and kindergarten. I love the idea of making it more special and exciting for everyone by starting some first day of school traditions. Below you’ll find a list of my favorite ideas, including a super easy but fun recipe for jitter juice!
- A ‘backpack fairy.’ Much like the tooth fairy or santa clause, wait until your child is asleep the night before school and fill their backpack with fun school supplies, a sweet treat or two, and maybe a new outfit for the first day of school!
- Decorate their room while they sleep. Fill their room with balloons and throw up some streamers. I love doing this for birthdays but the first day of school can be just as exciting.
- Create a homework station. It can be full of school supplies and fun snacks to eat while they do homework. Ours has markers, paint, glue, scissors, do a dot markers, and more!
- Special lunchbox surprises. This can be as simple as a sweet note to your child, or fun themed lunch foods. Or maybe even sneaking in their favorite desert treat.
- First day of school breakfast. I love doing special smiley faced pancakes topped with whipped cream, fruit, and sprinkles. You could also do a pancake bar and let them pick out their own fun toppings.
- Decorate your car. Instead of decorating their bedroom, you could have the car filled with balloons and streamers! Imagine the surprised look on their faces when they get into the car in the morning!
- Jitter juice! I saw this idea a few years ago on Pinterest and have done this for a few special events happening to my toddler, like her first trip to the dentist. I tell her that this special jitter juice takes away all of the butterflies and jitters from her tummy. It always gives her a little boost of confidence. The recipe I always see includes using Sprite and juice. That’s a bit too much sugar for my liking, so we use Sparkling Ice sparkling waters. Especially since I like to throw a little whipped cream and sprinkles on top. I place it in a special cup with a fun straw, and my child gets so excited to drink it!
Sparkling Ice uses natural flavors in their sparkling water. There are so many yummy flavors to choose from, but we love the Kiwi Strawberry, Orange Mango, and Black Raspberry the best. Sometimes we throw in some sherbert or ice cream, as seen in our magical rainbow unicorn float. You can find all 15 flavors of Sparkling Water on Amazon!
What are your favorite first day of school traditions? Are there any that you plan on starting this year?