After spending most of my adult life working 40+ hours a week while going to school full time, I was so excited to become a stay at home mom. I thought it would be all rainbows and playdates and I was so wrong. It is the hardest job I have ever had and then on top of that, I also work from home and homeschool my toddler. But let me tell you guys, being a stay at home mom is so rewarding. I get to spend all day with my toddler and give her a life full of adventure. My work schedule is based on our needs and I can work from anywhere. This is my fourth year being a work at home mom and after much trail and tribulation, these are some tips that have made it a whole lot easier.
- Create a schedule that works best for you. I know several SAHM’s who work when their kids go to bed. My brain does not function at the end of the day so I do all of my work in the mornings and afternoons. I am in bed by 10pm so staying up until midnight working would not do me any good. I schedule in work throughout the day in between homeschooling, playing with my toddler, cleaning and any errands I need to run. It’s great being able to make your own hours, but if you don’t have a schedule it can get overwhelming. Which leads me to my next point….
- Make a to do list every morning. This is SO important, especially with kids at home. It helps me to not feel like I am over my head in things to do. I can go through the list and check off each things one by one, while ensuring I am not forgetting anything. It also helps motivate you when you can see that you are accomplishing things throughout your day.
- Have a dedicated work area. I used to just move into whatever room my toddler was in, but it really makes you feel unorganized and scatter brained. Now I have a work space at my kitchen breakfast bar so I can see every room in my house from it. Everything is organized how I need it to be and and it helps me stay focused.
- Don’t over schedule yourself. If you are going crazy because your house is trashed and your to do list is getting too long and overwhelming, SLOW DOWN. I am working on this now and it is making life much easier. I was accepting new clients instantly and working on so many projects at once that my household duties were falling behind and we weren’t getting out of the house as much as I like to. Now I make sure to schedule everything out evenly so I have plenty of time for the fun stuff and keeping my house from looking like a hurricane came through it.
- Treat yo self! (like Tom and Donna on Parks & Rec.) Leave the house and get yourself a coffee. Plan a day just for you each month so you don’t feel overworked and unappreciated. My favorite treat is getting my hair done, in a salon for just adults. I am a mom 24 hours a day, 365 days a year and it’s easy to feel unappreciated sometimes. But having a few hours just for me ‘recharges my batteries’ and I feel refreshed and ready to keep going.
- Protect yourself against network issues. If you are working from home, chances are you need internet access. I recently installed TP-Link’sDeco M5 whole-home Wi-Fi system and it has made my job so much easier. No more internet issues or worrying about my network security. The parental controls allow me to manage what my toddler is doing on our tablet if she uses it while I work. It even has time allowance so I can shut off the internet from each device at a certain time each day. I control everything from an app on my phone and I don’t even have to be home to do so! The TP-Link’s Deco M5 whole-home Wi-Fi system is extremely easy to install and fits right in with any home decor. You can learn more about this product and get your home seamless coverage here. You can also find it on Amazon!