This post is sponsored by FX Networks and Better Things, but the content and opinions expressed here are my own. #BetterThings #BetterThingsGiveaway
Being a mom can be difficult and most nights by bedtime I am already craving the next day’s cup of coffee. Morning’s are the hardest for me and if I don’t follow these 5 habits to start my day off on the right foot, then I find myself laying in bed checking my phone for an hour, dreading leaving the bedroom. These all work wonders for me and once you get into the habit of doing them, your days become a thousand times better!
- Wake up before the kids. I loathe even thinking about this one because I love my sleep, but on the mornings when I wake up first, the day goes 1000 times better than when we wake up together. I have some time to myself, to breathe, diffuse some essential oils, and most importantly to drink my coffee, WHILE IT IS STILL HOT, and in peace. It works wonders for my overall attitude to have some time alone before taking care of everyone else’s needs.
- Don’t look at your phone. Or the computer. No screen time for the first hour you are awake. It is hard, especially when you’re addicted to your phone, or work on your phone like I do. But waking up and checking emails or seeing horrible stories on Facebook just stresses me out before my day even begins. There’s no need for that added anxiety. Start your day off fresh and focused on yourself, not the lives of others on social media.
- Eat breakfast. Like a real breakfast that has another food group besides coffee. I have to work reallyyyyyyyy hard at this one because as much as I like breakfast foods, I don’t get hungry until noon. I just live off coffee until that time and my mood is down and I am just slumpy overall. Slumpy? See, I didn’t have breakfast today. When I make breakfast I like to have my toddler help me as well and we both start our day off having fun together, with full bellies, and much more positive attitudes.
- Get yourself ready. It is so easy to get your toddler/kids ready like they’re about to walk the runway, but for some reason, us moms stop there. We don’t take care of ourselves and that takes a huge toll on your overall mood. When you don’t feel good about yourself, your mood will reflect that. If you are feeling really gutsy, you can even take a shower which is an instant pick me up and will leave you feeling like you can conquer anything.
- Make a to-do list. I am all about to do lists. When I was working, crossing things off my to do list was my favorite part of the day and now that I work from home, it is no different. Those to do lists now just include cleaning and running errands with a toddler in tow. Get all of your tasks together, and tackle them one by one by level of importance. Your day will seem so much more doable and less overwhelming.
Now that you’ve conquered your morning and can move onto bedtime, I recommend sitting down and watching Better Things on FX. You deserve to sit down and laugh, kid free, while watching a show that is SO relatable on so many levels of motherhood. Better Things is written by Louis CK and Pamela Adlon, who also stars in the show. She is a single mom of three girls, and the show follows their daily life. It does contain language and nudity, so make sure your kids are not only in bed (for the thousandth time), but actually asleep, and get ready to laugh hysterically. The show aired September 8, and you can see the trailer and learn more about the show HERE on FX.
As a treat for all of you mamas out there who deserve it, I have a swag bag full of goodies to giveaway which includes:
• Ray-Ban Sunglasses
• Chipolo bluetooth keyring
• Leather Clutch for mom’s things
• Emergency Beauty Kit
• Hypoallergenic travel pillow
• Ultra-Soft travel pillow protector
• Essential Oils Blend Mini
• Skinny Lip Balm
• “Credit Card” Mints
Just visit the homepage of Better Things HERE and comment below with your favorite way to start your day. Thats it! The giveaway closes September 25 and the winner will be announced below. Open to US residents only!