lifestyle

Our Hospital Tour in Germany

A lot of people have been asking, and I will not be delivering at a military base hospital, as the closest one is over an hour away. This idea scared the crap out of me at first, but after our tour of the German hospital I chose to deliver at, I couldn’t be happier. Not only is it literally 3 minutes away, but they are all about babies here. All about making sure the mom is as comfortable as possible and that her baby doesn’t leave her side unless absolutely necessary.

The differences that stick out most in my mind are:

• -Doctors don’t deliver the babies. Midwives do. And they are there every step of the way for you. I was terrified of this idea at first, until I was told their midwives are so well trained, that they can do a C-section at a patients home if needed. Mind blown.
  • -You are not confined to only laying on your back after all the monitors are hooked up to you. Any position that will make you comfortable is perfectly fine. They even had these tied sheets hanging from the ceiling that helped with moving around and you can even give birth while being propped up in one. I wish I could have taken pictures to explain better.
  • -After delivery, the baby isn’t given a bath until the next day, they are just wiped down at first. This way, that protective layer the baby is born with will not be lost right away and the baby has time to develop immunity on their own. The more natural way.
  • -There is no nursery like back in the states. The baby stays in your room with you from delivery until you leave the hospital. If you need to take a shower or to take a break, your midwife will come in and help you. Everything that’s needed for after baby is born is stored right there in the room with you.
  • -As long as you are not high risk, you are allowed to eat while in labor. You need any extra strength you can get during delivery so they bring you all-organic meals, and believe in making you as comfortable as possible.
  • -They HOPE you will stay for at least two days overnight. This way you can get all you need from the lactation consultants, ask as many questions as needed, and you aren’t thrown out wondering whats next?
  • -Despite all the horror stories I have been told, you CAN get epidurals here. They personally believe in the more natural way but if you want pain meds, you can have as much as you’d like. They also do ‘walking epidurals’ here, which mean you are able to take a few steps if needed and have complete control of your bowels. Score.
  • -The one thing I TOTALLY forgot about is how Germany has no AC. So when I’m delivering in late June/early July, I will be in a hospital room with no AC. Sounds horrible. But we are allowed to bring fans from home. Germany also doesn’t do ice, so that we will need to bring from home as well.
The tour put my mind at ease so much about delivery and what comes next. We can’t wait to meet our Bubby who will be here in less than 10 weeks!

Ech and Will
    April 24, 2013 at 11:41 am

You have me sold! I'm driving up to Germany when I get pregnant. I'm curious to see what Italy has to offer.

Jennifer
    April 24, 2013 at 12:05 pm

It sounds like a pretty awesome place to deliver!! I am so excited for you I cannot wait until the little one is here!! I love when you do post about Germany, I have always wanted to visit and I am hoping to make it a reality instead of a dream soon!! XOXO

Lindsay
    April 24, 2013 at 12:55 pm

My mom had one baby (me) in a military hospital on base in Germany, and one baby (my sister) in a German hospital – she will not hesitate to tell you that the German hospital was, by far, the better experience and better delivery. Consider yourself lucky! 🙂

Erinn C.D.
    April 24, 2013 at 1:35 pm

This is really exciting! I think if hospitals in the U.S. were more like this women here wouldn't be as afraid of a mostly natural birth as they are. I bet it's going to make for a really great experience for your family 🙂

Melanie @ Mailbox Journey
    April 24, 2013 at 1:59 pm

No fans or ice!? Make's me want to send you a slice of Antarctica or something. Do they at least give you cold towels for your forehead or something?

StaceyFacex
    April 24, 2013 at 1:59 pm

Oh my gosh it's all organised, I am so excited for you! It must really have put you at ease too, so helpful! too exciting xx

Jen
    April 24, 2013 at 2:15 pm

I'm so glad that the tour helped put your mind at ease. 🙂 Very excited for you that it's so close.

Mrs.B
    April 24, 2013 at 2:27 pm

It sounds pretty great! Glad it helped ease your mind. I would be bringing at least 2 fans though. haha I'm always so hot! Our hospital didn't have a nursery only a NICU and I loved that. I'm requesting that baby never leaves my side at this new hospital. I love that they are more about the natural way, that's what I like to see!

ifs ands Butts
    April 24, 2013 at 3:07 pm

Ah wow – I always love hearing about the differences in Germany and always laugh whne my friends ahve to stay extra long at the hospital whent hey'd send you home the same day in the US, but it really sounds WAAY better in this case.

Sweet Green Tangerine
    April 24, 2013 at 3:22 pm

I don't know what hospital you chose, but I delivered at the stadt clinic. I LOVED it. I had dinner at the hospital (which you probably know by now is nothing more than bread/meat). The biggest perk for me…the birthing tub. One of the rooms is equipped with a birthing tub. You can't have drugs to use it, but it was worth it to me. The perks of that are that you are the first one to hold the baby. I loved the midwives. They are so nurturing and nice. They immediately helped me latch the baby on for breastfeeding and they are very supportive of b'fing.
    My son had jaundice so he had to sit under the UV lamp for 24 hours. The hospital liason was very helpful in translating for me. So if you have any questions, she should help you.
    Best of luck to you!

Misty
    April 24, 2013 at 3:43 pm

That's awesome. I craved ice during both my pregnancies and was so glad to have it in the hospital since it was the only thing I could have. Epidurals were my friend, but I'm all for women who would rather not use them. And, if I suggest anything, it is to STAY TWO NIGHTS! Enjoy the rest and recovery while you're there. You'll need it. 🙂

Libby's Life
    April 24, 2013 at 5:20 pm

neither of my babies ever left my room! They don't put babies in the nursery unless you specifically ask them to now {at least in Oregon} now.

Jamie
    April 24, 2013 at 8:59 pm

Sounds a WHOLE lot like both my births. The natural way is the best way!

Sureye
    April 24, 2013 at 9:42 pm

Your hospital sounds AAAA-MAZING!
    and little sweet bubs can come in June so Sylvie and her are June babies together. 🙂
    They're already predestined bffs so they may as well share the same birth month..just sayin 🙂

xoxo
    Sarai

xJediLadyx
    April 24, 2013 at 11:01 pm

Believe me… hospitals have ACs.
    and we also DO ice. you just have to ask for it.

Tales of a young mamma
    April 24, 2013 at 11:01 pm

Sounds similar to giving birth in Sweden!! You will be great 🙂

Megan
    April 25, 2013 at 2:27 am

I had a midwife deliver my little man. She was amazing. for our next child I will also have a midwife again. I loved how calm and relaxed our room was. I did have him in CA @ a none military hospital. So i did get him to room with me the whole time. Only time he was taken away was to do his hearing/and circumcision. Good luck! 🙂 You will do great!

Jessica K
    April 25, 2013 at 3:20 am

Very interesting, but I like the more "hands off" approach! Good luck! SO close!

Laura Railing
    April 25, 2013 at 4:46 am

I am so excited for you! They do a lot more intervention in the states early on than they really need to! Our first was in a hospital with pitocin, a resulting epidural and really long labor. It was ok and I am so thankful we had a healthy baby but this second time around was so much different and way better. Water birth. Midwife. birth center. It was amazing to labor naturally and just do what I knew I could. We Mamams have WAY more intuition than we realize! Your little one is going to be so stinking cute!! How nice to have the peace of mind of being so close to where you're going to deliver and to have seen it. It sounds really interesting and like a great kind of different. That is funny about no a/c or ice. Crazay!

Stephanie
    April 25, 2013 at 6:11 pm

I am so jealous and so excited for you. I would love to have more of a birthing center option! You will be fantastic!

destination262
    April 25, 2013 at 10:54 pm

Such a great post, that is so interesting the differences between the hospital experiences. Sounds like they do things a lot more naturally over there, which is pretty cool. I am pretty much down with about they do except for the no AC thing, but at least they warn you to bring your own fans! I'm really really excited for you!!

RadiantKristen
    April 28, 2013 at 3:21 am

I wish that I could give birth in Germany too! My best friend had a horrible experience in the states, and I'm seriously considering having an eventual home birth, just so that we don't have all of the restrictions. It sounds like you really get the best of both worlds 🙂

Sweet Tea In Sicily
    May 1, 2013 at 12:16 pm

So exciting! Sounds like a much better choice than a military hospital… I'm not saying my experience was bad but, they are lacking in a few areas. They just don't have the funds or the opportunities to supply themselves or the parents with anything more than the bare necessities 😉 I'm glad you'll be very well taken care of!!! 🙂

Ciao,
    Ash

Sarah at Midwest Pillowtalk
    May 1, 2013 at 9:51 pm

Germany is SO different with how they do things, but i absolutely love it. you are in great hands!
    i was born in berlin at the martin luther king hospital and i love hearing stories about how my mom loved every minute.
    good luck mama!