mom

Some help for moms-to-be:

Last week I teamed up with Sureye to come up with some questions we were both needing answered so we could feel better prepared for when the baby gets here.
Thank you to all of those who answered our survey and helped us out!
Here are those questions with the top answers for each:

Sweet Tea In Sicily
    January 3, 2013 at 11:35 am

Definitely wait til after your shower if possible before stocking up on anything… especially blankets. I have a shelf FULL of like a thousand blankets that have yet to be used because for some reason, people give you like 10 blankets each.

If you can't make it home for a shower, consider making a registry anyways (amazon.com is great for this… or anywhere really… I did babiesrus.com too) and send out an "announcement" about your soon-to-be baby… and strategically mention that you & hubs are registered at wherever you choose! Then people can order online and have it sent directly to you 🙂

As for diaper and onesie sizes… UGH. Everyone told me not to buy newborn onesies… and then I ended up at the Exchange buying them the day after we came home from the hospital. I only had about 5 onesies and 2-3 footie pjs in Newborn size and needed more. Shelby Rae was 19inches and 7pounds 14ounces, which is considered to be "big" since she was almost 8 pounds… and she still wore newborn sizes! She actually STILL wears them and she's now 8 pounds 13 ounces and about 20-21 inches long. As for diapers… she NEVER wore newborn size. She went straight for size ones. She's currently still in size one. We didn't buy a single pack of diapers until she was born. We were gifted 1 pack of NB (never used..), 1 pack of 1s, 1 pack of 2s, and 2 pack of 3s…. but we have obviously had to buy lots more size ones 😉

I'd say that instead of stocking up on clothes and diapers (promise you will receive plenty as gifts), stock up on more practical things like shampoo/babywash, WIPES (omg… we use them for EVERYTHING and have gone through tons of packs!! Buy them in the big packs to refill the little box thingy… and buy several travel packs!), etc.

Are you breastfeeding? (sorry if it's TMI lol) if so… consider also pumping… and don't skimp on a cheap pump. I originally had a single (cheap) pump. It was ok but took forever… so I upgraded to the Ameda Purely yours and I can now pump twice as many ounces in like half the time… seriously worth it considering you're sitting around helpless and strapped to the thing 😉

Andddd…. I could go on and on. hahaha 🙂 There was so much that I didn't know and we just "winged it"… I wish someone had've filled me in! Let me know if you have any questions or need anything 😉

xo,
    Ash

Jen
    January 3, 2013 at 1:07 pm

great questions and answers, but I would disagree that you have to use disposables when leaving the house. I use cloth still if out for the day (you can use a wet bag).

Yes, if you are gone all weekend traveling, you need disposables, but I still think cloth saves money, and of course, the environment.

As for breastfeeding, if you plan to be a SAHM, even just in the beginning, skip the pump. You don't need it right away. I only purchased a Medela Harmony (at the Exchange for $39.99) and it's all I have used in my 13 months of breastfeeding.

Amber Dominguez
    January 4, 2013 at 8:10 am

This has more to do with you than the baby, but definitely take home as many of the mesh undies they give you at the hospital as you can, either that or buy some granny panties….you'll have to wear a pad anywhere from 3-6 weeks after you have the munchkin and it helps not having tight little underwear on, esp if you have a c-section.

I'd agree on waiting to buy most of the stuff until after the shower, but I know everytime I went to target I bought something, so stock up on the necessities (def a breast pump) It's nice to be able to store breastmilk so nights I'm super tired the hubby can feed him. Oh! If the carseat you buy doesn't have them included, buy inserts. We didn't have one and our guys tiny little head was bobbing around all over on the car ride home from the hospital.

So so excited for you guys!

AlanaMarie
    January 4, 2013 at 7:49 pm

Graco Snugride 30- Awesome! I have a newborn (3 weeks today) and we love it. I got mine off amazon because I liked the color scheme better.
    Also for clothing- Next winter my baby will be 9-12 months, So I have been checking the clearance shelves now for great deals in that size. Not stocking up though because we'll be PCSing in the fall hopefully somewhere warmer. But if I see something adorable, or with a great price I grab it. I think your probably due this summer? You could probably find 0-3 or 3-6 winter clothes on clearance now.
    My favorite baby item though is the fisher price rock and play sleeper. I'm actually working on a review for my blog, Should have it up tomorrow if you want to check it out.
    And I agree, babies don't need a lot. we are in the middle of moving right now, and we don't have much. She sleeps in her pack and play, she has a rocker for naps, and some clothes. We have a crib that was a gift from a grandparent, but it's not set up yet. The pack and play comes with a changing table so we change her on that or on the couch. I felt all I needed was need clothes for her, somewhere for her to sleep, and a carseat, beyond that we're kind of figuring it out as we go. We don't even have a stroller yet, but we are getting a BOB revolution when it warms up enough to go outside.
    Good Luck and best wishes for your baby!

AlanaMarie
      January 4, 2013 at 7:52 pm

Also if you are breastfeeding I suggest the book Ina May's Guide to Breastfeeding. It's been a great resource and answers a lot of questions about how and when, as well as worries about my supply.
      If you are planning a natural birth, I also liked her book Ina May's guide to Childbirth. It really puts natural childbirth into perspective. Has lots of stories both natural and with meds from real moms.

Alyx
    January 5, 2013 at 5:48 pm

Great advice!!! Thanks for putting it together Kristen!!

Candace
    January 9, 2013 at 4:11 pm

I too have to disagree with the cloth diapering statement. I have not had a single problem leaving the house with my cloth diapers like Jen said wet bags! If your going to be out of home for a few days they do have diapers called hybrid diapers that have and option for disposable inserts.

You can wash your diapers every 2-3 days and its one load/half load of laundry extra.

How much you spend on your diapers depends on what type of cloth diapering system you go with as well as brand. I spent less than $100 on mine and had a cloth diaper raffel at my baby shower where I had a regisrty they could purchase diapers from or just donate money towards diapers and they would be entered to win a prize. People are going to gift you diapers anyways since its the one thing you use the most. Plus if a diaper doesn't work for your baby they have buy sell trade forums!

Americord Reg
    January 10, 2013 at 11:59 am

Week-By-Week Pregnancy
    Nine months seems such a long time to wait when you are excited to see your new baby. Maybe that’s why there are so many websites devoted to tracking the changes to your body as well as your growing baby throughout each trimester. These week-by-week pregnancy guides tell you all kinds of interesting factoids about fetal development, like when your baby has fingerprints and when you can expect to feel him (or her) begin to kick. They also offer useful information for pacing yourself through all nine months, like when you can expect morning sickness to end and when is the best time to travel.

Here are a few week-by-week pregnancy guides that offer helpful and informative information that will get you to week 40 in an organized fashion:..